Please respond to this ad by telling me the day and time you would like to drop by.
This Heavy Weight Linen Bed set was made by Pequot Mills, torn size 81" x 108".made for a double bed.
It is adorned with cut out applique work and scalloped edges.
In excellent condition with no stains or tears.
Set consists of:
1 top sheet. (missing fitted bottom sheet)
2 full size pillow cases with 1 large flower
2 full size pillow cases with 2 medium flowers
1 Dresser Topper Dollie 4-1/2" wide x 16" long
2 Night Stand Topper Dollies 7-1/2" wide x 11-1/2" Long
2 Dresser Toppers 12-1/2" Wide x 33" long
A bit o History:
Pequot Mills was owned and operated by Naumkeag Steam Cotton Co. from 1847 until its closing in 1953. They made sheets and pillowcases under the brand name Pequot.
Former sea captain, Nathaniel Griffin began organizing a Salem cotton mill in the late 1830s. The site chosen for the mill was Stage Point, just opposite the South River Channel from what is today Pickering Wharf. The location was accessible to ships that would transport the cotton from the south, and because it was sea level, it offered the right level of humidity needed for separating cotton fibers.
The Salem plant was one of the first steam-operated cotton mills in the country. The facility was built at a cost of just over $621,000 and initially employed 600 workers. During World War II it grew to 2,725 workers. In 1909, the firm acquired the Danvers Bleachery (located in Peabody).
During the great Salem fire of June 25, 1914, all but two small buildings of the mills burned to the ground. The company rebuilt, making the new plant powered by electricity.
In 1933, there was a violent eight-week strike when hundreds of workers went on strike against the company and their own union, a local branch of the United Textile Workers of America.
Among the immigrant groups to work at the mills were: French-Canadians, Poles, Italians, and Russians.
Pequot Mills closed late in 1953 and moved operations to Whitney, South Carolina after merging with Indian Head Mill. More than 800 people lost their jobs. The buildings in the area are now called Shetland Park.
For photographs of children working in the factories from the Lewis Hine photography collection, see wiki entry Lewis Hine Photographs